How can it help?
Nutrition consultation can help with a wide range of issues and is important for all horses, from companions and happy hackers to elite competition horses and everything in-between. Nutrition consultation can help with:
- General health – to support tissue and cell renewal, immune function, give healthy skin, glossy coat and provide optimum health and wellbeing.
- Growth and reproduction – to aid fertility in mares and stallions, support pregnant and lactating mares and growing young stock.
- Older horses – to help maintain condition throughout the year and provide alternative feeds and forages for those with reduced chewing ability.
- Performance – sports nutrition to promote optimal performance, help reduce injury and aid recovery times.
Nikki provides advice on practical feeding management and feeding regimes that closely emulate the horses’ natural needs to support physical and behavioural wellbeing.
Clinical nutrition & diet related disorders
A considerable amount of veterinary problems in horses are linked to feeding and nutrition. Clinical nutrition can help the management, occurrence and prevention of many conditions by provision of a suitable diet plan for your horse. Clinical nutrition can help manage conditions such as:
- Diet related oral stereotypies such as crib-biting and windsucking
- Obesity / Insulin Resistance / Laminitis / Equine Metabolic Syndrome (EMS) / Cushing's
- Feeding thin, starved and sick horses
- Colic / Gastric ulcers / Choke / Diarrohea
- Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (PSSM) / Azoturia (tying- up).
- Skin, coat and hoof problems
- Nutrient deficiencies / food allergies
- Respiratory diseases / Liver and Kidney disorders
- Feeding horses on box rest and / or convalescing
There are many ways nutrition can help, please get in touch with Nikki to discuss diet related issues with your horse. Your horses’ dietary requirements are vital and the provision and correct balance of nutrients are paramount to your horses’ health and wellbeing.